Posted Date: 11/16/2020
Date:November 15, 2020
Jefferson Independent School District was notified yesterday that a JISD staff member on the Elementary Campus has received a lab-confirmed, positive test for COVID-19. This employee was last present on campus on November 13, 2020.
JISD is required to:
• Contact all school personnel and parents of studentsassociated with that campus.
• Notify the local health department (located in Tyler).
• Assist the local health department with contact-tracing (tracking) of individuals who may have been in close contact with the infected person. Once those individuals are identified, they will be contacted by either the local health department, JISD, or both, for further instruction.
• Additional attention to Cleaning/Disinfecting all areas of possible contamination.
• Notify the infected individual of re-entry criteria that must be met before return to school.
Although we disinfect all vehicles and work areas daily, this situation prompts JISD personnel to ensure extra attention is given to any areas where the infected person may have been.
Laws governing confidentiality do not permit the District to release any names of employees, students, or others who may be infected or have other health-related issues.
The District will follow the health and safety guidelines provided by TEA, in addition to guidance provided by the local health department, regarding re-entry requirements for any individual who has tested positive for COVID-19.
To be cautious, I advise you to monitor your health and follow the CDC guidelines if you or your children/students have had close contact with anyone who is sick or if you are experiencing symptoms. Symptoms include:
• Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
• Loss of taste or smell
• Difficulty breathing
• Shortness of breath
• Sore throat
• Congestion or runny nose
• Shaking or exaggerated shivering
• Significant muscle pain or ache
• Diarrhea, Nausea or vomiting
If so, you should contact your personal physician. Additionally, you should contact a school administrator for further direction.
The District continues to monitor this situation and will provide additional information as needed. We hope for a successful recovery for our Jefferson I.S.D. employee. Please continue to be diligent and follow all healthy protocols and procedures that are recommended by medical professionals. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the school at 903-665-2461.
DISTRICT-WIDE FREE MEALS FOR STUDENTS
The Jefferson Independent School District is proud to announce a district-wide change in policy of serving meals to children under the National School Lunch Program and National School Breakfast Program for the 2019 – 2020 school year. Jefferson I.S.D. is now eligible to operate the Community Eligbility Provision (CEP), which provides free breakfast and lunch to all children at no charge and eliminates the collection of meal applications for free, reduced-price, and paid student meals. The approach reduces burdens for families and school administrators and helps ensure that student receive meals.